Wild morning to you, pretties! Itchy scalp? Yes, it happens! There are many different causes of an itchy scalp; they range somewhere between stress and poor nutrition to allergic reactions.
No matter the cause, an itchy scalp is annoying and irritating. That’s why today I’ve prepared a list of top 10 natural remedies to treat an itchy scalp and short descriptions of how to get rid of itchy scalp.
Ready? Let’s get to it!
- 1. Coconut oil for itchy scalp
- 2. Tea tree oil for itchy scalp
- 3. Apple cider vinegar for itchy scalp
- 4. Argan oil for itchy scalp
- 5. Jojoba oil for itchy scalp
- 6. Lavender oil for itchy scalp
- 7. Peppermint oil for itchy scalp
- 8. Aloe vera for itchy scalp
- 9. Olive oil for itchy scalp
- 10. Witch hazel for itchy scalp
- Tips on how to prevent an itchy scalp:
Coconut oil is very beneficial for a lot of skin or hair problems. I regularly use it for oil pulling as well, but that’s another topic for another time.
Coconut oil is very beneficial for my hair; I’ve been using it for quite a long time (even though not as regularly as I would want) and my hair is always extremely grateful since it’s curly, prone to breaking and dry ends.
Coconut oil benefits
- Contains loads of fatty acids that possess antibacterial and antimicrobial properties
- Rich source of lauric acid which works as an antibacterial and antifungal agent
- Improves skin and hair moisture
- Heals and restores hair health
- Gives a shiny look to the hair
How to use coconut oil for an itchy scalp
Apply on the scalp and on your hair. Massage the scalp so that the oil is well absorbed. Coconut oil has also anti-inflammatory properties. It can help treat the itchiness and provide your scalp with moisture. Read more on how to apply coconut oil as a hair mask.
Tea tree oil is a very effective natural remedy. It has been used in Australia for centuries, plus I love the smell; relaxing yet fresh: I’ve mostly used it as an essential oil in my essential oil diffuser; it was only recently that I’ve discovered that the use of essential oils goes well beyond that.
Tea tree oil benefits
- Antibacterial, antifungal properties
- Helps to unclog hair follicles
- Helps fight and reduce dandruff
- Very hydrating for the hair
- Boosts hair growth
How to use tea tree oil for an itchy scalp
Apply a few drops of tea tree oil to one tablespoon of carrier oil (coconut, for instance). Mix the two oils well and apply to the scalp. Massage it for a few minutes and leave it on your scalp overnight. Rinse your hair in the morning. Tea tree oil helps to nourish the scalp and to eliminate the dryness.
Learn to bring this staple kitchen ingredient to a new level; apple cider vinegar is a remedy that is useful all around and probably already is in your possession. Easy, cheap and on the reach of your hand!
Apple cider vinegar benefits
- Naturally rich source of acetic acid
- Antifungal, antibacterial properties
- pH level of ACV is similar to that of human hair, which is why the vinegar can restore the acidity of your scalp and hair, especially if you have oily hair
- Prevents dandruff and further flaking
- A perfect natural cleanse for your hair (from all the gels, sprays, serums and other masks)
- Prevents hair to detangle
How to use apple cider vinegar for an itchy scalp
Mix the apple cider vinegar (1/4 cup) with water (1 cup) and apply to your scalp. Massage the mixture well and repeat the procedure twice a week.
Commonly referred to as liquid gold¸ it was traditionally used to treat skin diseases. On the culinary side, argan (food) oil is used on salads, couscous or for dipping bread in Morocco, a country of origin or argan oil. The argan tree is also known as the tree of life by the Moroccans.
Argan oil benefits
- A very rich source of vitamin A and E
- Loaded with antioxidants
- Rich in Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids
- Hydrates and softens skin
- Aids with acne, eczema
- Slows down the aging process
- Repairs split ends
- Nourishes hair, gives them a shiny look
- Reduces and tames hair frizz
- Protects and heals damaged skin
- Reduces stretch marks
How to use argan oil for an itchy scalp
Apply argan oil on your scalp and massage well for a few minutes. Leave it overnight and rinse your hair in the morning. Argan oil has nourishing properties and is very hydrating and beneficial for the hair and the skin.
Native Americans used jojoba to treat and heal skin conditions and damaged dry hair. It is very popular in the cosmetic industry; it is used for various skin problems, such as sunburns, acne. Jojoba oil hydrates and moisturizes your skin, some people use it as a make-up remover.
Jojoba oil benefits
- a very rich source of vitamins E and B-complex
- contains a good amount of minerals
- Antioxidants in jojoba oil regenerate skin
- Hydrates skin
- Anti-inflammatory and antiseptic
- Used for treating acne
- Boosts hair growth
- Gives healthy shine to your hair
- Works as a natural hair conditioner
How to use jojoba oil for an itchy scalp
Massage the jojoba oil directly onto your scalp and leave overnight. Rinse your hair in the morning. Jojoba oil is very beneficial for the hair as well as the skin.
With its various uses, lavender oil is a well-known natural remedy for a number of things: a relaxing bath, a perfume, a dandruff solution, an acne treatment or a skin detox therapy.
Lavender oil benefits
- Contains a good amount of phytochemicals (chemicals found in plants; they protect cells from damage and aid to prevent diseases)
- A powerful antiseptic
- Reduces stress and anxiety; it has a strong calming effect
- Boosts hair growth
- Helps reduce dandruff
- A great relief for dry scalp
How to use lavender oil for an itchy scalp
You can either combine lavender oil with other essential oils (eucalyptus or rosemary) for a better effect or add 5 drops of lavender essential oil to a tablespoon of carrier oil (coconut, olive or jojoba) and apply to your scalp twice a week. Leave in for about an hour, then wash as you normally would.
Keep in mind that essential oils are very potent, so they may cause irritation if applied by themselves. That’s why it’s better if you mix them with a carrier oil.
Used as a remedy for hair loss, peppermint essential oil has a lot of powerful properties that are highly beneficial for our skin, hair, and health. It is a perfect remedy to soothe irritated skin.
Peppermint oil benefits
- Contains loads of minerals (copper, potassium, magnesium…)
- Rich source of omega 3 fatty acids
- Antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial properties
- Menthol (in peppermint) has numbing and cooling properties
- Boosts circulation of the scalp
- A great remedy to soothe scalp affected by dandruff
- Stimulates hair growth
How to use peppermint oil for an itchy scalp
Mix peppermint oil (as with lavender oil, 5 drops) with a tablespoon of carrier oil (olive, jojoba, coconut) and apply directly on the scalp. Massage well and leave well for an hour before rinsing your hair.
Aloe vera has become increasingly popular; also known as the plant of immortality, it is used as a natural remedy for various skin damage and conditions, such as sunburn, cold sores, and burns. Some people use it as a hair moisturizer. The uses of aloe vera, however, go well beyond that.
Aloe vera benefits
- A rich source of vitamin C, E, beta carotene and vitamin B12
- Rich source of minerals: calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, manganese, sodium
- Anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties
- Reduces cholesterol
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Great for oral health
- Aids with hemorrhoids
- A perfect natural moisturizer
- Speeds skin healing process (in case of wounds, burns, cuts)
- Boosts hair growth
- Prevents dandruff
- Maintains the pH balance of the scalp
- Nourishes the hair and the scalp
- A great natural hair moisturizer
How to use aloe vera for an itchy scalp
Apply aloe vera gel on your scalp. Leave it for 15 -20 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water. Aloe vera is a natural moisturizer and it has soothing properties.
I love olive oil! the smell, the texture and it is a great addition to basically anything I make in the kitchen. However, while using olive oil daily, very few people would actually think of its uses spreading farther than the kitchen cupboard. Olive oil has, in fact, plenty of benefits in terms of our health, skin and hair care.
Olive oil benefits
- A good source of vitamin E
- Contains omega 6 and 3 fatty acids
- Rich source of monounsaturated fat
- Loaded in antioxidants
- A natural skin moisturizer
- A natural make-up remover
- Anti-aging properties
- Boosts skin health
- Helps fight hair loss
- Boosts hair growth
How to use olive oil for an itchy scalp
Massage the oil onto your scalp and hair. Leave it overnight and rinse your hair in the morning. Olive oil offers a relief from the itchiness and heals the scalp.
Popular with native American tribes, witch hazel has numerous benefits for the skin. It has astringent properties, it contains volatile oils and flavonoids amongst others. Witch hazel helps fight free radicals that damage skin cells, due to its antioxidant properties. It also helps to slow down the aging signs and boosts the healing process of infected and irritated skin.
Witch hazel benefits
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
- Aids with dandruff
- A great remedy for a scalp irritation
- Boosts blood circulation
- Soothes dry, irritated skin
- Useful as a make-up remover
- A great natural acne treatment
- Offers relief in case of insect bites, eczema
- Aids with sunburns and razor burns
- Nourishes dry skin
- Heals bruises and minimalize them
- Aids with oily skin
How to use witch hazel for an itchy scalp
Mix 1 part witch hazel with 1 part water and apply it to the scalp. Massage well and leave on for about 10 minutes. Rinse with water afterward. Witch hazel reduces the inflammation and helps treat the infection.
Tips on how to prevent an itchy scalp:
- wash hair with lukewarm water or cold water
- stop washing your hair every day
- avoid blow dryers, hot irons, as they cause additional damage
- massage scalp a few times a week
- avoid harmful ingredients, use natural and organic shampoos and hair products instead
What are your favorite itchy scalp remedies? Let me know below!